This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Monday, April 9, 2018

RedWing Blackbird........

Remember I was sort of surprised to see a loan Redwing Blackbird in my garden not so long ago? I did not expect to see him again because we just do not see them in town. They tend to stay in the wet areas across the main road. Well, yesterday, imagine my surprise when he showed up with a bunch of Grackles. Everyone got along just fine and there were also a few stray Starlings with them.
 photo 105_0379k_zpssi6qtfgi.jpg
I love the Starlings, such pretty birds. Yes and the Grackles. They may be mean (so I am told) but they sure are beautiful. When at my feeder they seem very well behaved around the other birds. I doubt anyone would challenge them, look at those beaks.
 photo 105_0348k_zpsqjijnwea.jpg
Starlings have sharp beaks too.
 photo 105_0323g_zpsah2cmgoy.jpg
The colours on both these types of birds are like those of Peacocks. They shimmering iridescent blues and greens. So beautiful in the sun. I know most people chase them away but I don't. When I see them flock into a tree I will go put out extra food because I know they won't leave until it's all gone. Then I refill for everyone else.
Blue Jays will come in very cautious like when they are around. They are bigger but are timid they seem so anyway. Any of these birds fly at the slightest movement from me (in the window). So it's hard to get good pictures. The peanuts tempt them though.
 photo 105_0331k_zps5hpmanvs.jpg
Everyone loves the Peanuts.
 photo 105_0359k_zpsxqapiazk.jpg
I am Wondering if this is a female RedWing and maybe that's why she is allowed to stay? The males seem to have a redder band.
 photo 105_0385h_zpslzt5wluk.jpg
 photo 105_0363a_zpslblbdrar.jpg
Everyone was getting along and not squabbling as they usually do. Got to love them.
 photo 105_0307_zpsje1k5ojc.jpg
I have been keeping the cats inside. They don't care for the cold and so maybe that's why the birds are back. Anyway, the Blue Jays were loving the critter food. I need to go get some suet. Poor little Woodies have to be content looking for bugs in my bushes,
 photo 105_0300j_zpsgf3febvo.jpg
Yum, what shall I eat first?
 photo 105_0387j_zpswmqykxus.jpg
Now if only these two would have faced the other way it would have been a good picture.
 photo 105_0262d_zpsh3iajbyg.jpg
 photo 105_0257k_zpsgpfavdkb.jpg
 photo 105_0260l_zpsuqedstig.jpg
She is feeling sassy
 photo 105_0266g_zpsg0xnfmaj.jpg
Well I will now go and fill up the feeders and hope to see some small birds come in. I have so many bird pictures it's crazy but I still want to try for those perfect shots.

2 comments:

Tete said...

We have the same kind of birds! Love your photos and your visit yesterday. Beware of the blue jays- they are mean when nesting...and they will dive bomb you. I have them far off in the north lot so we aren't out that way much. I don't let them build close to the house.
Well , off I go to learn more about you and your gardens!

Magic Love Crow said...

Great photos Janice! Funny you were talking about the single redwing black bird! The reason I am saying this is because, every year, when our grackles and starlings come back, we have a single redwing black bird, that comes with them too. This has been happening for a few years now. I had to change my food, to get rid of the grackles this year. They are sill around, but not as much. When I saw them killing their own birds, I didn't like that. big Hugs!