This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Friday, April 20, 2018

Can it be here?.......

After the long spell of ice and snow the sun is finally out and it is actually warm. Well after such cold weather it feels warm. Actually it's only in the 40s but the sun is warm. The paths that Gerry dug in the snow for the Robins has thawed to the ground.
 photo 105_0560_zpsalnrlmf9.jpg
I see little spots where little critters have been digging in the wet soil, that's good. The news has even been asking people to feed the birds and how to feed Robins who do not eat seeds. Apparently a lot have been hit by cars because they fourage by roadsides. Poor things are so hungry and many migrating birds have died. Nature can be cruel. Survival of the fittest or luckiest if they find back yard birders. My Robin was grateful I know that much.
The sky is blue and the buds have survived. I have seen Squirrels eating them. I was going to go out and clean up the mess on the deck. All the seeds that got lost under the snow are laying there. They will rot and make them sick. Right now though the Squirrels are doing clean up for me and the stuff has not been there that long. This weekend is supposed to get up to (gasp) the 50s, perfect for me to work outside. I sure hope things move along from there.
 photo 105_0558_zpszvuhjhve.jpg
It looks as though the Crows are staying. Once again it looks like they are trying to set up residence in the neighbours pine tree. It's a goodly tall tree and they probably like that.
 photo 105_0559_zpsaqoekdhv.jpg
I see them coming and going and I hope no one disturbs them this time. I know they will kill other baby birds and thats sad, but that's life I guess. Everyone has to eat. I just wish it were not so. I like the Crows, they are intelligent and clever. They are getting braver and I saw one today close to my deck cleaning up stuff along with the Squirrels. Maybe by next year they will feel more at home. I stopped putting out food for them because they disappeared for a couple of years. I would supply them with hamburgher and they loved it.
 photo 105_0548k_zpssgs8h7t9.jpg
 photo k_zpsvx8xks5g.jpg
The Holly berries are all gone so the Robin or someone else who likes Berries found them as we had hoped. A relief because it was laden in berries but buried. Gerry tried to get the ice and snow off for them. Well she has not been back the last two days so maybe she can finally sit on a nest and unload those eggs she is carrying. She was so big
 photo 105_0336_zps1oqyulcp.jpg
 photo 105_0339_zpspcmjimdx.jpg
I sure hope she survived.
The birds will cut back now they can find food in other places and I won't put so much out so the Squirrels will look elsewhere. He he like Buds Tulips when they begin to shoot through. He will get his live trap out and begin transporting them. I don't like that because who knows if they have babies but he does not care about things like that. He is a very nice man but really is not into animals like I am. He does not like them when they eat his stuff. I don't care about that. I do appreciate it if they at least stop for a photo opp though. I think it may be the rabbits but last two years someone ate my Hosta in the Fall. If it's deer then they better stop long enough for a picture it's only fair.

1 comment:

Magic Love Crow said...

Your robin is so big! I do hope she is well! Love the photos Janice! I hope the crows come to visit! I have to cut back from feeding the animals too! I just love feeding my chipmunks! LOL! Happy Spring! Big Hugs!