This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Brrrrr still too cold.................

After yesterday, being on the beach in temps in the 40s, low 40s, today was warmer. I think by late afternoon it probably hit 50 but was windy so took awhile to actually feel warm. I went out here and there, tidied up a bit. Relocated bird feeders and filled them. The first thing I saw this morning was a Wren. I have never before seen a Wren around here. I was very excited. I didn't get a picture but think this is what he looked like. Although mine looked a bit happier.
 photo bc_zps2vs674qq.jpg
What a cutie. I sure hope he comes back.
I did get out and putter a bit. I will go out again later. It is only noonish and is supposed to warm up as the day goes on. Meanwhile time to think, organize my thoughts.
I am hoping not to spend too much money on the garden this year but that said, it never happens.
I want to fill in some spaces with shrubs. Preferably ones that flower or have berries. Finally the Holly that I put in many years ago is of a reasonable size now. Just a nice size shrub that I will trim up as summer goes on. I like my garden divided up and the Burning Bush that I have in the center is a dissappointment. I will leave it there but, under it, I want something evergreen to keep things divided up in winter. So I will find the cheapest I can and go with it. All the hosta I have in pots will go in the ground as I see where they are needed.
 photo 20170412_140108_zpsitnrxks3.jpg
See the gap, I want to make it so you can't see through to the back. I may go with an evergreen, they are cheap. Or another couple of Boxwoods.
Then the other side of the Burning Bush too. The Holly never did get very big, despite feeding it.
This is a view from the back.......all that needs closing in.
 photo 20170412_135942_zpsap12vtmh.jpg
 photo 20170412_135759_zps8szqcrj9.jpg
This Holly Is the best one. I have several others that have stayed smallish.
 photo 20170412_140025_zpsnlbrjf55.jpg
Gerry took all the vines off the front porch. That gives me a lot more sun there so maybe there I will put some pots of veggies and see how they like it. All I have to do is remember to water them.
The vines that were cut down I can make into wreaths. I was going to do that today but that wind is very cold. Maybe later before they get carted away when they clean the streets of all the debri from Spring clean up. They allow us to do that in Spring and Fall. Just dump everything, brush and leaves, by the side of the road.
 photo 20170407_131511_zpsbyzhwwnt.jpg
The Tulips are coming up nice and the Hyacynth has buds, the Daffodils also have a few buds checking out the sunshine, a bit cautious like. The Forcythia has a few frightened looking buds on it. Nice to cut and bring in the house. Or maybe even start some new ones from cuttings. I always think of the ones that grew up the front of my Dads house. All the way up to the roof. Beautiful in Spring and then green once the leaves come on. Except for the year the Sparrows nested under his bedroom window. Must have been grumpy that year because he tore it all down. He left the Honeysuckle out the side at least. In England we could throw our windows open, the curtains would billow outside in the breeze. Everyone had white lace curtains back then. So beautiful to be able to just hang out the windows. No screens for us. I hate the screens on our windows.
 photo 20170412_140008_zpsuqzoqop2.jpg
The rocks and concrete we moved from the garden to make more room is sitting in a pile. I will use that under the ivy in the back so I can pull out some of the nice rocks that are burying themselves. Funny how they seem to sink back into the ground. I try to use everything I can possibly use in my garden. This made a stone wall and now will help build up other areas. There are some flat pieces that will be added to existing walls.
So going forwards I have to sort of wait for things to pop up so that I don't inadvertently dig up stuff I want to keep. So not a lot going on for now but it gives me chance to putter and do much needed maintenence
Jasons roses came up just fine this Spring that was nice to see
 photo 20170412_134136_zpsujau9v6c.jpg
Anyway, back to the garden. He trimmed the Pine tree on the corner and now it looks really bare. So, mulch will go under it and I have put one of the old ploughs there. I must continue the fence to the end of that side and see what I want to do with it after that. I think I will move the prickly rose that came back in what is now the veggie plot and put it on the fence there now there will be more light. It seems to be tough so maybe it will thrive. It can't stay where it is and there will be room for it to spread if it wants to.
 photo 20170412_181506_zpsrttfq7lx.jpg
I bought a couple of bunnies from the Thrift shop yesterday and they will reside on the porch for the summer instead of the snowman. Nice for spring but will be happy out there all year I think. I am putting two old quilts out there. Some more pastel colours instead of the reds, so I must cover a few pillows to sit out there with them. I am also using my embroidered table cloths. Why waste them sitting in a drawer? People don't use them anymore so its a shame to waste them. At least they can be seen.
 photo 20170412_181514_zpsw8uavphl.jpg
 photo 20170412_181502_zpsvtey7yjl.jpg
I will venture out again in a few minutes to see how the temperature is. Meanwhile back to planning. I have to find my flowers that were put away for Winter and maybe make a wreath out of some of them. I don't know yet. I can not wait to be able to fiddle with everything. Come on weather warm up, but not too much. No heat waves please. Although I can usually get outside in the mornings before it gets too hot and buggy. I will just have to be methodic.

2 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

I was doing a lot of cleaning today Janice! We are thinking of cutting down one of our very large ever green trees. We will see how much it costs. It's because of the weather and how it's changing. We get very high winds now!! You have done a lot already in your garden areas! And, I can't believe how everything is coming up for you already!! I have a little bit up, but not a lot. I'm trying not to spend a lot this year either! Big Hugs and Happy Easter!

Connie said...

What a beautiful Spring post . . . I love gardens with touches of whimsy :)